Your ductwork is the delivery system for your home’s conditioned air. It is an integral part of your HVAC system, but because it isn’t very visible, it can be easily ignored and/or forgotten about. While air ducts are durable and have a long lifespan, they can wear and break just like any other part of your system. Understanding what the signs of faulty ductwork are can help you repair your ducts in Tyrone on a timely basis. Here are some common signs of faulty ducts as put together by the trained and certified technicians at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems:
Signs of Faulty Ductwork
Here are some typical signs that can indicate it’s time to repair your air ducts:
- High energy bills – faulty ductwork can account for up to 30% of the total air loss for your HVAC system. When you lose a significant amount of your heating and cooling, your HVAC system has to compensate for this loss in order to achieve the temperature you’ve set. A system that has to work harder needs more energy.
- Poor indoor air quality – holes and cracks in your ductwork allow contaminants like dirt, dust and other small debris into your air flow; excess humidity can also become a problem. All of this can significantly reduce the quality of air inside your home.
- Unpleasant odors – not only can dirt and dust get in from the outside, so can odors.
- Whistling noises – if you hear a whistling sound when your system is running, this can be an indication that air is escaping from the ducts.
- Uneven temperatures – multiple hot and cold spots throughout your home can be an indication that certain ducts may have become disconnected, or that there is more wear and tear in one area more than another.
- Poor installation – it doesn’t happen frequently, but your ductwork could have been installed poorly initially. Kinks in the ductwork, ducts that is too small and poor layout are all examples of poor installation.
Faulty ductwork can compromise your indoor air quality, drive your energy bills up and make your indoor temperature uncomfortable.
Scheduling professional duct repair in Tyrone can eliminate these problems. If you notice any signs of faulty ductwork, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today.