A geothermal heat pump is one of the most durable of all residential comfort systems. The one that you have working for your home (and give us a call if you want one installed) should last for decades while providing you with energy-efficient heating and cooling. The indoor heat pump components of a geothermal system have an average lifespan greater than 20 years, and the ground coils can endure for more than 50 years!
Premier Indoor Comfort Systems Blog
When you are looking for methods to improve the air quality in your home, you will find you have many different options. Some will work better than others. Some may have no effect at all. This is why you should always seek the assistance of indoor air quality professionals who will not only find the right air cleaning method to match your home’s needs, but who will also install the new system so it works with maximum efficiency.
To get a good start with increasing your indoor air quality, call on the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems. We install a variety of air filters, purifiers, and cleaners for homes in Franklin, NC and the surrounding areas.
The electronic air purifier
One of the choices you have for cleaner air is an electronic air purifier. A professional can integrate this device into you HVAC system, where it can remove some of tiniest particles of contamination that circulate through your ducts. Where standard air filters do well at stopping larger contaminants such as dust, dander, and pollen, for getting through, they have difficulty with gas and odor molecules. Electronic air purifiers, however, are excellent at eliminating these pollutants, such as smoke, pesticides, and household chemicals.
Here’s how an electronic air purifier performs its job: It create an electric field through a process called corona discharge that affects a section of the HVAC system that all air must pass through. This field ionizes particles in the air, which causes the larger ones—such as contaminants—to either gain or lose an electron. A particle that gains an electronic develops a negative charge; a particle that loses one develops a positive charge. These negatively and positively charged particles are now attracted down toward a set of plates on the purifier where they are trapped. A number of differently charged particles will also be attracted toward each other, clump together, and fall out of the air.
This process keeps your air clean and also doesn’t interfere with air flow. An air purifier can be combined with mechanical air filters for extra cleaning power: ask you indoor air quality professional about the best set-up for your needs.
Premier Indoor Comfort Systems is glad to help you with installation of air purifiers and other indoor air quality devices. We also provide repair services and maintenance whenever your air purifier needs them. Call us today to find out more about how we can help your household enjoy the healthiest and most comfortable air possible.
One of the great things about a ductless mini split system is that it can be quite energy efficient. This is due in part to the use of indoor blowers that help you customize your cooling and, if you have a heat pump, heating. But you can maximize the energy efficiency of your ductless system by choosing a ductless system that is considered high efficiency. What does this mean? A high efficiency ductless mini-split system for your Atlanta home is one that has a SEER rating over 15, which is two levels higher than the mandated SEER of 13. How is this important? We’ll explain more below.
SEER stands for seasonal energy efficiency ratio and it tells you, on a scale of 1 to 26, how energy efficient your air conditioner will be; the higher the SEER number, the better the energy efficiency. In 2006, the federal law regarding the minimum required SEER for air conditioners was updated, raising the minimum from 10 to 13. To be considered high efficiency, an air conditioner has to have an even higher minimum SEER than the mandated SEER, so high efficiency air conditioners typically start at SEER 16 and go all the way to 26. Why is this important? It’s estimated by the EPA that each SEER point higher on the SEER scale can save you an average of 10% on your annual cooling costs. This means that if you replace an older AC with a SEER of 13 with a new AC that has a SEER of 18, you could save up to 50% on your annual cooling expenses. However, it’s important to keep in mind that high efficiency systems typically have higher initial costs, so it’s important to balance these costs before purchasing and installing.
Ask a Professional
The best way to assess if a high efficiency ductless mini split system is a good choice for your Atlanta home is to work with a trained professional.
The AC experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems can help you choose and install a high efficiency ductless system that will work for you, your home and your budget.
Exhaust fans aren’t particularly exciting, nor do they change very much, but these steady components can help improve your home’s ventilation a great deal. The ideal placements for exhaust fans are kitchens and bathrooms, as these areas tend to generate a lot of odors and moisture. However, other areas, like garages and laundry rooms, can benefit from exhaust fans, too. Exhaust fans can offer your home several benefits, as we’ll outline below, but to gain any benefit at all, it’s important to hire an expert for installation. The electrical professionals at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems have been helping customers in Atlanta and the surrounding areas since 1999, so if you are looking to install a residential exhaust fan, call us today!
Ducted vs. Non-Ducted
The first thing to know about any exhaust fan you install is that you can choose either a ducted or non-ducted fan. As the names indicate, a ducted fan uses an air duct by which to expel the indoor air and moisture; a non-ducted fan filter air through charcoal, then release the cleaned air back into the room.
Benefits Exhaust Fans Offer
As mentioned above, one of the main benefits an exhaust fan offers your home living spaces is better ventilation. But, there are some other benefits to consider:
- They help remove excess moisture – exhaust fans pull excess moisture from areas and expel it, removing it permanently from your home. This action can be especially helpful with areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
- They remove smoke and odors – we’ve all experienced the smoky dinner, or maybe you have a smoker in your home. Exhaust fans help to quickly remove smoke and odors, making your indoor air more breathable.
- They help improve comfort – exhaust fans help maintain circulation and remove excess moisture, increasing your overall indoor comfort.
Call the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems and schedule an appointment for exhaust fan installation for your Atlanta residence today!
Water heaters tend to fall into the “out of sight, out of mind” category – that is, until they fail, and then you can’t move fast enough to get hot water flowing back into your home. However, there is a great way to avoid the scramble of a broken water heater: schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance for your water heater in Macon County, NC, can help keep your hot water heater in good working order, but to really gain the benefits of maintenance, it’s important to hire an expert for the job. The trained professionals at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems can help you with all your water heater needs, so if it’s been more than 12 months since your water heater was last maintained, give us a call today!
Can’t I Do It Myself?
We get this question a lot, so here are some questions for you. Can you:
- Thoroughly, expertly and safely inspect your hot water heater?
- Check and test all the valves?
- Find leaks?
- Find corrosion?
- Find and check the anode rod and dip tube?
Additionally, do you have the training and expertise to:
- Conduct a flush of your water heater?
- Remove sediment build-up?
- Check the burner or the electric heating element?
If you didn’t answer “yes” to all of these questions, then it’s best to hire an expert.
Why Perform Maintenance?
When you hire a professional to perform annual maintenance on your water heater, there are a number of benefits you can see, including:
- Better performance – when sediment is allowed to build-up in your water heater over a long period of time, it can interrupt the heating process. During maintenance, your water heater will be completely flushed and all sediment will be removed.
- Better energy efficiency – a clean water heater is able to work optimally, so your heater will be able to achieve better energy efficiency.
- Helps prevent repair – the thorough inspection of your hot water heater allows the technician to discover any problems that may interfere with your system’s operation.
It may be tempting to see if you can perform your own hot water heater maintenance in Macon County, NC, but to ensure that you reap the benefits of maintenance, call for one of our experts!
It may not seem like spring is right around the corner, but it is, and with it comes the use of your home’s air conditioner. One of the best ways to get ahead of warm, spring air is to schedule a spring air conditioning tune-up for your AC system in Tyrone. Scheduling maintenance now puts you ahead of the many customers who will be calling in another month, and the appointment also gets your AC ready to work after sitting idle for the last few months. Operating your AC with last year’s wear and tear can put unnecessary stress on your air conditioner, but a full tune-up will have your system working optimally. The AC experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems are ready to assist you with your spring AC tune-up, so call us today!
Overview of a Spring AC Tune-Up
Just as a tune-up appointment for your car is a thorough process, so, too, is a tune-up for your air conditioner:
- Inspection – your technician will closely inspect your entire AC unit to discover any existing or developing problems.
- Cleaning – your AC attracts dust and dirt, and there may be debris inside the outdoor metal cabinet from this winter; all of this will be cleaned.
- Adjusting – sometimes components can shift positions, which can affect their operation. If anything needs adjusting, like a fan belt or loose wiring, it will be taken care of during the appointment.
- Check of refrigerant level and electrical voltage – the technician will make sure your AC system has the right amount of refrigerant as well as the right amount of voltage in various parts of the system.
- Performance testing – lastly, your technician will make sure that your system runs as expected.
Annual maintenance for your air conditioner helps improve energy efficiency and comfort, prevents repairs and helps extend the life of your cooling system. To gain these benefits, it’s imperative to hire professionals who know what they are doing, and the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems have the training and certification necessary to properly tune-up your AC.
Contact Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today, and schedule a spring air conditioning tune-up for your home in Tyrone!
Having good ventilation inside homes is becoming more and more of an issue for many homeowners. This is because in an effort to be energy efficient, many homes have become too air tight, and the natural ventilation provided by drafts, etc., is no longer available. One way you can create better ventilation is with the installation of an exhaust fan in your Peachtree, GA, home. Exhaust fans can be used in kitchens, bathrooms and garages, and with expert installation from your Premier Indoor Comfort Systems professional, you can start to enjoy better ventilation quickly!
Exhaust Fan Options
There are a few choices homeowners have when it comes to choosing an exhaust fan for your home:
- Wall-mounted exhaust fans – these fans mount into an exterior wall, and because of this, they do not need extra venting to expel air as the fan can expel the stale indoor air directly to the outside.
- Ceiling-mounted exhaust fans – these types of exhaust fans install directly into a ceiling, and they are most commonly used in bathrooms. The unit expels your indoor air through ducting that is attached to a component, such as a roof cap, that sends the indoor air directly to the outside.
- Kitchen range exhaust fans – the fan that comes inside your hood range isn’t designed to last forever, so if you need a replacement, one of our experts can help get your replacement range fan installed and working.
- Inline exhaust fans – inline fans are great for areas that do not have the clearance or the room for a ceiling exhaust fan. Inline exhaust fans are mounted in between ductwork (hence their name), and the expelled air travels through your ductwork and out of your home.
- Fan/light combination exhaust fans – commonly used in bathrooms and kitchens, you can get both ventilation and a light fixture in a single unit.
Many exhaust fans need proper venting in order to work correctly and all exhaust fans need excellent electrical work to operate safely. As such, it’s important to hire an expert who can ensure that your exhaust fan is properly installed and will last for years to come.
If you need an exhaust fan, or need to replace an exhaust fan in your Peachtree City, GA, home, call the specialists at Premier Indoor Comfort today!
What if there was a way for your home’s water heater to work optimally year after year – would you try to make that happen? Of course you would! And the good news is, there is a way: by scheduling water heater maintenance in Atlanta. Maintenance for any kind of mechanical device or system is always a good thing, and your water heater is no exception. So what can you expect to happen during a water heater maintenance appointment? Let’s take a look.
This is a general overview of what to expect during a water heater maintenance visit:
- Thorough inspection of entire unit
- Checking and testing of all valves
- Check for leaks
- Water heater flush
- Sediment removal
- Check of anode rod and dip tube
- Check of the burner (if applicable)
- Check of the electric heating element (if applicable)
- Check for any corrosion
A maintenance appointment for your water heater is a full tune-up for the unit; this can provide a number of benefits, including:
- Helps prevent future repair – the thorough inspection and checking of items like the anode rod help get you ahead of potential repairs because if an issue has developed, your technician will catch it before it can become a bigger problem.
- Better energy efficiency – a water heater that operates with a lot of sediment at the bottom and/or dirty heating components will have a hard time running at the efficiency level it is supposed to.
- Extend life of equipment – water heaters have an average lifespan of 12 years, but with regular maintenance, they can last as long as 15.
Are You Seeing the Signs of Poor Performance?
Water heaters can become sluggish when they haven’t been maintained, and some evidence of this can be long waits for hot water, sediment in the water and higher-than-normal water bills.
Your water heater needs maintenance just as your heating or cooling system does. If it’s been more than a year since your last water heater maintenance appointment in Atlanta, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems.
Hollywood has always tried to match movies up to the seasons to draw droves of viewers to the theaters: October is packed with fright-offerings, while the winter holidays skew toward warm and pleasing family films (as well as Oscar hopefuls). Valentine’s Day falls in an odd spot when it comes to the movie release calendar, however, since February tends to be a slower time for the film industry. The studios are as likely to slot strange movies that don’t fit anywhere else in their annual schedules into the Valentine’s Day weekend as they are films with powerful romantic appeal.
So, while the second weekend of February has featured hugely successful romantic comedies like Hitch, The Wedding Singer, and (of course) Valentine’s Day, some truly weird choices have debuted in this weekend as well. And a few have even gone on to tremendous success despite the bizarre match with the holiday. Here are a couple of the odder Valentine’s Day movie releases:
- Dracula (1931): Yes, this Halloween perennial and the start of Universal Studio’s Classic Monsters actually came out on Valentine’s Day! But perhaps this makes some sense, as the Dracula legend has often received a “doomed lover” approach in the many years since Bela Lugosi made the aristocratic vampire a screen icon.
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991): Does any film seem less appropriate for Valentine’s Day than this unnerving and sometimes very violent psychological thriller? What’s even more astonishing than the film’s release date is that The Silence of the Lambs eventually nabbed the Oscar for Best Picture, an almost unheard of occurrence for a movie released so early in the year.
- Daredevil (2003): This Marvel comic adaptation featuring Ben Affleck as a blind superhero does contain a romantic subplot, but the stronger connection to Valentine’s Day may just be that Daredevil wears a bright red costume.
- A Good Day to Die Hard (2013): The least successful of the Die Hard film franchise, this is an excellent example of a studio dropping a film into a weekend where it doesn’t fit in the hopes that it works as counter-programming. (It didn’t.)
- Wayne’s World (1992): Now here is an example of counter-programming that clicked with audiences. This comedy based on a Saturday Night Live sketch turned into one of that year’s biggest hits and spawned a sequel.
Whether you celebrate Valentine’s Day with a trip to the movie theater, or you have your own special plans, everyone here at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems hopes you and your loved ones have a wonderful weekend.
Have you ever wished that your furnace could operate on a variable level instead of putting out the same amount of heat whether it’s 40 degrees or minus 10 degrees? You can with a 2-stage furnace. Having two stages allows the furnace to operate at two different levels, depending on your heating needs. If you’ve been looking for a way to heat your home in accordance with the outside temperature, you may want to consider the installation of a 2-stage heating system for your Waynesville, NC home.
How Does It Work?
Every furnace has a maximum output of heat, given in BTUs (British thermal units). With a single-stage furnace, whenever the thermostat calls for heat, you get the maximum amount of heat from your furnace every time. This means that your furnace works at full capacity no matter what the temperature. With a 2-stage furnace, there are two settings at which the furnace operates, low and high, which allows your furnace to heat well but without being at full capacity if it isn’t needed.
Low and High Settings
The low setting is what a 2-stage furnace will operate at 75-80% of the time; the furnace will run at high capacity for the very cold days. When operating on low capacity, the heat cycles are longer but run at the lower capacity; this allows for more continuous heating and warmth for your home. When it is very cold outside, the furnace operates at the high setting, ensuring you have the heat and comfort you want.
- More even, consistent heating – because the system operates at the low setting most of the time, you won’t have the spikes of heat and cooling off period that can happen with a single-stage furnace. This creates more comfortable heating for your home.
- Better energy efficiency – a 2-stage furnace consumes less fuel at the lower setting, making it more energy efficient.
- Less wear – a 2-stage furnace has longer run cycles, so there is less turning and off, which helps reduce the wear on the system.
A 2-stage furnace can help you increase your energy efficiency while allowing you to tailor your heating capacity right from the furnace.
If a 2-stage furnace sounds like a good option for your home, call the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today and schedule an appointment.