May 21st, 2013
Of the various components and mechanisms that make up your air conditioner, few are as important as the compressor. In today’s FAQ, we’d like to address what a compressor is, how it works, and situations when it might be time to fix it. For comprehensive air conditioning repair in Atlanta, GA, call Premier today!
- What is a compressor? A compressor is basically a small engine powered by the electricity and often fired up by a capacitor. It is designed to do one thing really well: compress the refrigerant that circulates throughout the various components of your system. There are numerous types of compressors on the market today, and some of them have two-stages to incorporate different cooling needs and to increase the energy efficiency of your home.
- How does it work? A compressor works by accepting the refrigerant from the indoor evaporator coil. Once the refrigerator has been evaporated, it is in a gaseous state. But in order for it to become cool again, it needs to be heated up greater than the temperature of the outdoor air. This is where the compressor comes in. Once the refrigerant has left the compressor, it moves to the condenser coils where the thermal energy created by the compressor is dissipated into the outside air with the help of an exhaust fan.
- Compressor issues: Today’s compressors are often completely sealed off to prevent the accumulation of dust and debris inside the sensitive mechanical components. Your compressor can overheat, however, if there are any airflow issues or low refrigerant levels. Make sure you change your air filter regularly to ensure that it doesn’t impede airflow and cause an issue.
If you’re concerned about the operation of your compressor, or if you’re not getting the cooling you want, then consider calling for air conditioning repair in Atlanta, GA from Premier!
May 16th, 2013
Are you looking for ways to improve your air conditioning Bryson City, NC? While many customers are looking for upgrades and ways to make their AC more energy efficient, taking any and all steps to prevent damage to your AC is perhaps even more important. During the hottest times of the year, your AC endures a lot of wear and tear, and that much is to be expected, but you don’t want routine daily usage to become damaging. In this post, we’d like to share with you some ways that you can prevent damage to your air conditioning system. Call Premier today for more information, or to schedule a repair or maintenance service.
One of the easiest ways you can prevent damage to your air conditioning system, no matter what type it is, is by changing the air filter on a regular basis. During the cooling season, you should replace it about once a month, but this may vary with usage and environmental conditions. Your air filter is vital to the cleanliness of your AC. Without it, your AC would be subject to any dust and debris that flowed into your ductwork. But as it accumulates debris, it can actually begin to impede airflow, and this can lead to frozen evaporator coils, and even an overheated compressor. Because it’s one of the few AC-related things that you as a homeowner are responsible for, it’s critical that you don’t underestimate its importance.
Another way you can prevent damage to your cooling system is by enrolling in a preventive maintenance program. The Excellence Service Plan involves a comprehensive biannual inspection, cleaning and tune-up to make sure that your AC is running effectively and efficiently. It may even be necessary to uphold your manufacturer’s warranty. It also allows our AC technicians to look closely at the operation of your cooling system so that they can catch any small issues before they balloon into serious repairs. Keeping your system professionally maintained is a great way to prevent damage.
We hope you found this brief guide helpful. If you’re in need of air conditioning services in Bryson City, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
May 6th, 2013
Homeowners throughout the Atlanta, GA need to not only depend upon their air conditioning systems, but also ensure that they perform at the peak of their capacities. Getting the most from your AC is not just fiddling with the temperature to “go easy” on the AC. In this post, we’d like to give you some tips on how to maximize performance and keep energy costs to a minimum. For more information about Atlanta, GA air conditioning maintenance and performance, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
- Routinely change your air filter: This is one of the few things you can do as a homeowner and it’s critical to the operation of your AC. The purpose of the air filter is to prevent the accumulation of dust and debris on sensitive mechanical parts. Dirty and clogged air filters can block airflow, and this causes disruptions throughout the cooling system. It can lead to frozen evaporator coils, or an overheated compressor. Check with your tech to see what type of filter you should be using for your AC, and change it about once a month during the cooling season to stave off problems.
- Enroll in a maintenance program: You can reduce the risk of major problems as well as increase the energy efficiency and performance of your AC by enrolling in a maintenance program. Professional inspection, cleaning, and tune-ups allow your AC to operate as it should. This also allows you to rest assured that your AC is in good hands from year to year. Our Excellence Service Plan allows you to take preventive maintenance to the next level. Your manufacturer’s warranty may even require such a plan. You’ll also receive priority customer service and various discounts.
Getting the most out of your AC is the best way to ensure that you’re getting the most cooling for your dollar. Call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today for comprehensive Atlanta, GA air conditioning services.
April 29th, 2013
While we’ve already entered the cooling season in Macon County, NC, it’s not too late to choose a new AC for your new home, or to replace your existing system with a highly efficient model. Because of the range of models and types of air conditioning systems now available, the task of selection can be daunting. You need to take your budget into consideration as well as the size of your home. Furthermore, the most important step should be choosing an air conditioning contractor you trust, and one who has a good reputation for excellent service. For superior Macon County, NC air conditioning installation services, call the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
- Size: Your AC needs to be match the size of your home. Make sure you find an installer who performs a load calculation of your home so that your AC is just the right size for your home. If it’s too small, then it will simply not be able to cool your home effectively, and may be subject to increased wear and tear because of this overworking. If it’s too large, then it may frequently turn on and off, and you may find yourself overly cold, or having to adjust the temperature constantly.
- Energy efficiency: Make sure you purchase an AC with a high SEER rating. This acronym stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, and every AC sold in the US has one. Energy Star requires a SEER of 14.5. The higher the number, the better, although, there are numerous other factors to take into consideration, such as ductwork and insulation.
- Ducts or no ducts? Conventional central air uses a system of ductwork circulate cool air through your home, but new ductless mini split systems don’t use ducts at all. Instead, their sleek indoor air handlers sit high on the walls, or recessed in the ceiling.
- Other considerations: Want a new AC, but don’t have the space in your historical home? A high velocity mini duct system may be just what you need. These highly efficient systems are similar to a conventional system, except that they require much less room for extensive sheet metal ducts within your walls.
We hope this brief guide gives you some ideas. For more information, or to schedule your Macon County, NC air conditioning installation, call the experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
April 22nd, 2013
As we enter the cooling season in Atlanta, homeowners throughout the area are testing out their air conditioning systems to make sure they work properly all summer long. While professional maintenance can often keep problems at bay, sometimes a system failure is inevitable, particularly if your AC is old. In this post, we’ve tried to address what you should do if your AC breaks down. For air conditioning repair in Atlanta, call the cooling experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
- Check the circuit breaker: Make sure that you haven’t just blown a fuse or tripped the circuit breaker. Both of these problems are frequent reasons why your AC won’t start.
- Check for any water leaks: If there is a water leak around your indoor air handler, the problem may be a condensate drain overflow. The condensate drain pan sits below the evaporator to collect dripping water, and prevent it from damaging your air handler. If the drainpipe becomes clogged, it may overflow, and in turn cause the AC to shut off automatically.
- Call a certified technician: Keep the emergency number of a reputable AC technician close to hand so that you can call for repair whenever you need it. He will be able to arrive at your home quickly to inspect your system, and recommend a solution.
- Keep cool: There are a number of things you can do to stay cool if you experience a major AC breakdown. During the day, make sure to keep your shades and curtains drawn in order to reflect the sun’s heat. At nighttime, open the windows to let in the cool breezes. Use ceiling fans and other fans to circulate the air in the home. Cold drinks and light clothes will also help you to stay cool while your AC is being repaired or replaced.
We hope you find these tips useful. Remember to hire only certified professionals to work on your AC, and to say any DIY urges for your truck. For air conditioning repair services in Atlanta, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
April 15th, 2013
Solar energy is a relatively new technology that is still coming into its own. During the Bryson City, NC summer, it can be a great pleasure to know that we are not simply blocking the radiant energy of the sun, but actually harnessing it. Not only does this lead to long-term savings, but it also offers a way of living ecologically in tune with the season. There are an increasing number of solar products on the market today worth your consideration. For more information about how the energy of the sun can reduce your bills without sacrificing your comfort, call the Bryson City solar product experts at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
- SunSource™ system: The Lennox SunSource™ system gathers the energy of the sun with photovoltaic (PV) panels to power a complete heating and air conditioning system, as well as to supply electrical energy when it’s not being used for cooling. It is a comprehensive system. If your system is not in use, it uses solar energy to send back to the utility company to receive a credit on your electricity bills. The SunSource™ system uses what’s called a grid-tied PV system and you can add solar modules at your convenience to improve the quantity of solar energy your home can harness.
- Solar water heaters: Instead of PV panels, solar water heaters use a solar collector, which is a large insulated box coated in glazing, which maximizes heat retention. Coolant circulates through tubes within this box, and these convert solar rays into usable heat. You have a standard storage tank, which has a heat exchanger or direct coil heater. The solar water heater is designed for up to 1 hour of continuous hot water usage. You can support it with a backup gas or electric water heater, so that you don’t have to worry about whether it’s bright enough outside to take a hot shower.
Using solar energy is an excellent solution to summer heat and humidity and rising energy costs. For solar products in Bryson City, NC, call the pros at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
April 8th, 2013
As summer fast approaches in Jackson County, NC, you need to make sure that your air conditioning system is running smoothly and efficiently. While we cannot control the costs of electricity, we can control how we use it. We can also make sure to repair even the most minor problems before they begin to damage our systems. Postponing AC repair is hazardous. After all, you made a significant investment in your home cooling system, and taking care of any necessary maintenance and repairs as you go along only helps the comfort of your home in the long run. For Jackson County, NC air conditioning repair, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
So, here’s why you cannot postpone air conditioning repair service:
- Efficiency: It’s on everyone’s mind: the translation between your electricity bill and the comfort of your home. Energy efficiency is second only to comfort, but they often depend upon each other. For example, if you don’t take care of that clogged air filter, it can cause your evaporator coil to freeze over. If you don’t fix your frozen coil, then it can cause your AC to short cycle and it may even require replacement.
- Longevity: Those pesky minor repairs that build up over time can start to decrease the longevity of your cooling system. When you invest in an efficient cooling system, you need to make sure that it works for as long as possible. Postponing necessary repairs along the way can cause premature replacement. Regular maintenance and repairs allows your system to work for as long as it was meant to.
- Comfort: During the Jackson County, NC heat and humidity, you need cool and crisp air and you don’t want to take any risks of a major system breakdown. It will not be costly but also time-consuming. If you’re unprepared, then you might be out of an air conditioner when you most need it. By postponing repairs, you put your comfort and that of your family at risk.
Immediately taking care of any necessary repairs, no matter how large or small, ensures that your system will be energy efficient, provide excellent comfort and enduring the hottest summers for the years to come. For Jackson County, NC air conditioning repair, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
April 1st, 2013
It is sometimes easy to forget about the important role that the behind the scenes components of our heating and air conditioning systems play. When there is a problem that impedes the operation of your home comfort system, though, it becomes much more difficult to ignore these components. If your air conditioning and heating system relies on a forced air distribution system to cycle air throughout your home, the condition of your air ducts is extremely important. Dirty ductwork can lead to a number of problems. Here are some tips from the Bryson City duct cleaning professionals at Premier Indoor Comfort Systems.
While not every home that uses air ducts will require professional duct cleaning service regularly, it is always a good idea to have them inspected during routine maintenance service. You can wipe clean your duct registers and even vacuum out the exposed area a bit. However, only a qualified, professional duct cleaning technician has the specialized tools and years of experience necessary to ensure a thorough cleaning of your air ducts.
A number of factors will affect your duct cleaning needs. Everything from the presence of pets in your home to the general cleanliness of your house will help determine whether or not you need to schedule professional duct cleaning. If poor indoor air quality is a persistent problem in your home, duct cleaning can help clear the air.
Dirty air ducts can even reduce the effectiveness and efficiency with which your heating and air conditioning system operates. While it is not likely your air ducts will become so clogged that they block off airflow, they can suffer from increased airflow resistance and can clog up air filters. This puts excess strain on your home comfort system, which can cause it to work inefficiently and even damage the system. Plus, the dirt and debris can make its way into your HVAC equipment, causing further operational problems.
If you notice a general decline in the performance of your air conditioning system, you may need to schedule professional duct cleaning. Do not let dirty air ducts have a negative impact on your indoor air quality and comfort. Contact the Bryson City duct cleaning pros on our team today for more information.
March 25th, 2013
As summer fast approaches in Swain County, NC, homeowners throughout the area are inspecting, cleaning, and firing up their air conditioners. Spring is the ideal time for making sure that your AC is primed and ready for the high temperatures and humidity levels. Come July, with stifling temperatures, AC repairs can be frustrating. While all homes are different, there are some common air conditioning problems that we see every year. While routine maintenance can go a long way towards preventing major problems, sometimes you just need professional assistance. For Swain County, NC air conditioning repair, call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems today!
Let’s take a look at some common air conditioning problems:
- Dirty or clogged air filter. While the primary function of your air filter is to prevent the passage of noxious particle into your home, when it becomes dirty or clogged, it can actually begin to impede airflow. Not only does this decrease energy efficiency, but it also strains the rest of your system. It can lead to frozen evaporator coils and an overheated blower motor.
- Inadequate cooling. This is a common complaint. If your AC was properly sized for your home, and you’ve noticed a sudden decrease in its ability to cool, then there may be a problem with your air handler, or, alternatively, a crack or leak in your ductwork. Duct leaks can be tricky and difficult to find without the proper training and equipment.
- Uneven cooling. If you notice hot spots in your home, then there may be a leak in a particular section of your ductwork or a problem with your thermostat. If you have a zone control system, then it could be one of the
- Air conditioner won’t start. If you’ve already checked your thermostat, then this could be a thermostat malfunction—it may not be accurately communicating the temperature in your living space.
Unfortunately, like all mechanical systems, your air conditioner will probably need repair at some point of its serviceable life. Make sure you get the professional care your home deserves. Call Premier Indoor Comfort Systems for Swain County, NC air conditioning repair today!
March 18th, 2013
Your air conditioning system is only as good as its ductwork. It does not matter how highly your AC unit is rated for efficiency, if your ductwork has cracks, leaks, or debris within it. Duct testing is a great way to find out whether your ductwork is operating effectively. The process checks for not only leaks and cracks, but also insulation integrity and air loss. This ensures that you will cool your home efficiently all summer long. For comprehensive duct testing in Bryson City, NC, call Premier Indoor Comfort today!
Duct leaks can cause all types of problems. Leaks within the supply channel can allow your AC to cool your attic, wall interior, crawlspaces, or garage. This can also invite airborne pollutants, dust, insulation particles, and other debris into your indoor air. If you have a leak in the return channel, you may be inadvertently extracting hot air from the outside, causing extra work for your already taxed system. This can also create humidity problems. Because there is a certain amount of pressure necessary to the air conditioning cycle, leaks can also cause depressurization problems in the home.
How does duct testing work? The most common method of duct testing uses what’s called a blower door. This is a comprehensive whole home test, which measures duct leaks by pressurizing the entire home. Testing before and after your duct registers are sealed gives you an estimate of how much your ducts are leaking into the outside air. Your duct tester may also use a smoke puffer or a pressure pan to pinpoint leaks further. The other option for duct testing tests them more directly by temporarily installing a calibrated fan within the air handler that pressurizes the ductwork system itself and measures the airflow. It simulates the circulation of cool air, and can be especially accurate when performed correctly.
Ductwork faults are very difficult to find without professional testing. By inspecting your ductwork, you can then take the necessary steps to ensuring that your system is well prepared for the upcoming air conditioning season. For duct testing in Bryson City, NC, call Premier Indoor Comfort today!